Advancing Cultural Evolution (ACE) Grants
Grants to increase the global reach of Cultural Evolution research
CES is launching a new funding initiative, thanks to a generous donation from Eric and Peggy Peterson. Click here to learn more about the donors.
The awards will run from 2023-2027 and help support and increase the global reach of cultural evolution research by supporting early career researchers, outreach efforts, and capacity building in Low-and-Middle Income countries. Details on how to apply will be provided in early 2023.
The award scheme is as follows. Note that modifications in number of awards and award amounts may be made for 2025-27, based on an assessment of interest and impact that the different award categories generate in 2023-25.
1. ACE Building Research Capacity Award
The following application is for one award of up to $6000 to support either:
- A researcher from a Low-and-middle-income (LMIC) or Global South (GS) country to visit a host institution anywhere in the world to obtain training or collaborate with cultural evolution research. (Application type 1)
- An established cultural evolution researcher from anywhere in the world to visit a host institution in an LMIC/GS country. (Application type 2)
We are ideally looking to support visits that are at least 3 months or longer. Visits should be focused on providing training in cultural evolution theory or methods, or developing research collaborations that help advance research capacity in LMIC/GS countries, or contribute to professional development of a scholar from an LMIC/GS country. Visits can occur in the award year or the following year.
Here is the link to apply: https://forms.gle/9i4McTDNBUMBf9Vz9
2. ACE Outreach Awards
One award of up to $2500 for supporting activities to translate cultural evolution research for a non-academic audience or students outside of the field of cultural evolution. This can include activities such as
- traveling to study communities to disseminate research findings;
- translating a book or paper to another language;
- creating a professional video or film of a research project;
- developing dissemination materials;
- organizing a high-school student event hosting a meeting with policy makers
- preparing webinars, course materials, or workshops for undergraduate students
Here is the link to apply: https://forms.gle/R75jJozADwcrJCgC8
3. ACE Early Career Research Grants
Two awards of up to $3000 each to support research projects in cultural evolution.
Here is the link to apply: https://forms.gle/C3L2sycAH5jWPf629
4. Conference travel awards
We will give out four travel awards of up to $1500 during the conference years (2024 and 2026) for researchers from Low-and-middle income countries to attend the CES conference in person.